We need Portland cement, peat moss , sand and chicken wire. You can replace sand with perlite or vermiculite.
I use a ratio of 1: 1: 1
– Cut chicken wire to small squares.
– Mix all ingredients when they are dry then slowly add water . Wear gloves and avoid breathing near the mixture.
– Make sure your mix is not to runny; it should be like bread dough.
– Use any container for a form or make form from sand
– Put down one layer of concrete mix then chicken wire and cover with a second layer of concrete mix.
– After making the container make drainage holes in the bottom.
– Cover your container with plastic for 48 hours (or longer if required).
– After that time you can unmold your creation.
Cover it with plastic or an old wet T shirt for additional week or two for the concrete to cure properly. Remember that it needs moisture to get strong. Spray it with water when you remember.
Before planting wash it with 10 part water and 1 part vinegar mix.
Plant and enjoy
I will be happy to have more workshops for groups 4 or more. So if you and your friends would like to learn hands on, send me an e-mail.
Thank you so much to all participants.